Zara and Leo hang out in California to enjoy the cool creek on a hot day. But when Leo spots a wildfire, they are determined to help. Will they be able to put out the fire? Find out how YOU can make a difference in the world and discover the environmentalist who made small changes and achieved BIG results.
In this episode, children will:
- learn how even a small act can make a difference in the world
- travel to California, USA
- be inspired by Kyle Kornack, environmental entrepreneur
- Turn to Chapter 10 "Make a Difference in the World" in the Big Life Journal Second Edition. In this chapter, children will practice thinking about ways they can make a difference.
- Kids Who Are Changing the World by Sheila Sweeny Higginson
- One Plastic Bag by Miranda Paul
- Where Does the Garbage Go? by Paul Showers
- Kenya’s Art by Linda Tric
- Junkyard Wonders by Patricia Polacco
1. Check out the Ways We Can Make a Difference activity (in the Podcast Activity Kit) to help kids start brainstorming ways to improve the world around them. Whether it's at home, their local community or the world!
2. Go through the 5-Day Kindness Challenge (in the Kindness & Community Kit) together as a family or class. This challenge is full of fun and engaging activities for children to flex their kindness muscles.
3. Hang up the 10 Ways to Protect Our Planet printable (in our Kindness & Community Kit) in your home or classroom and choose one thing to implement for the next thirty days.
4. Use the Ways I Can Make a Difference in 2020 page (in our 2020 New Year Kit PDF for ages 4-10) to make a plan to improve the world around you this year.
- What was Kyle concerned about?
- How did he decide to make a difference?
- What ways can you make a difference in the world?
- If you could improve anything in the world or your community, what would it be?
For Parents and Teachers
- How to Raise Kind and Caring Children
- How to Foster a Sense of Belonging with a Family Manifesto
- 41 Family Rituals that Teach Responsibility, Kindness, and Compassion
Produced by Alexandra Eidens and Big Life Journal team. Written and directed by Sarah Cyrano. Sound design and original music by Elettra Bargiacchi. Sound mixing by Mattia Marcelli. Characters played by Sean Chiplock and Ryan Bartley. Managed by Kait Bibb.