In this episode, Flynn, from Michigan in the USA, shares how good he feels about himself every day and Zara and Leo practise positive SELF-TALK on their ultra smooth community radio show!
Do you want your growth mindset story to be featured on the Big Life Kids Podcast? Submit your story to Leo & Zara.
In this episode, children will:
- hear about Flynn, a real Big Life Kid with Tourette's Syndrome
- learn they can choose to be proud of everything that makes them who they are
- discover new strategies to deal with their negative self-talk
- Leo and Zara mention some unique band names on their community, Sunny Soul Community Radio. If you were to make up a name for a band, what would it be?
- Leo made a mistake during his radio broadcast and was hard on himself for it. What is one thing you would tell Leo to make him feel better about his mistake?
- Flynn used to be embarrassed by his tics but then he chose to be proud of them and everything else that makes him unique. What are three things about yourself you can choose to be proud of today?
Giraffe Problems by Jory John
This book illustrates how to reframe your insecurities and learn to embrace the things you've felt self-conscious about.
I am Every Good Thing by Derrick Barnes
An empowering book filled with inspiring affirmations and confidence-boosting statements.
Remarkably You by Pat Zietlow Miller
This inspiring book encourages children to celebrate their individuality everyday.
Be Kind To Yourself - Empower Tools | GoNoodle (YouTube Video)
This video walks your child through a mindfulness exercise designed to help your child be kinder to themselves.
Self Talk | TEDxYouth@ParkCity (YouTube Video)
Hailey Hultberg, a fifteen-year-old from Utah in the USA, shares what has helped her combat her negative self-talk as a competitive figure-skater.
Understanding your Inner Coach (YouTube Video)
This video uses puppets to illustrate the difference between your “inner-critic” and your “inner-coach.”
1. As mentioned in the episode, create a “Jar of Awesome!” This simple craft, which is included in our Podcast Season 1 & 2 Printable Kit, gives your child the chance to reflect on all the things that make them awesome.
2. Listen to Big Life Kids Podcast Episode 9: Celebrate Your Uniqueness. In this episode, Leo and Zara discuss how to embrace who you are.
3. Read through these 41 Confidence Quotes. Have your child make their own confidence quote by having them define what confidence means to them.
For Parents and Teachers
Consider joining our Masterclass “How to Transform Your Child’s Negative Self-Talk Into Self-Love.” This self-paced online course offers strategies and guidance on how you can help your child combat their negative self-talk and build confidence.
Produced by Alexandra Eidens and Big Life Journal team. Written and directed by Sarah Cyrano. Sound design and original music by Elettra Bargiacchi. Sound mixing by Mattia Marcelli. Characters played by Sean Chiplock and Ryan Bartley. Managed by Laura Maloney.