Zara and Leo are on a mission to hear from YOU. Listen to the mini-episodes as Big Life Kids (our listeners) from across the world tell us about their amazing adventures.
In this episode, Ellie and Grace from Connecticut in the United States tell us about the year they spent living in Mexico, and how embracing every opportunity to learn about their new home, made it an amazing and unforgettable experience!
Do you want your growth mindset story to be featured on the Big Life Kids Podcast? Submit your story to Leo & Zara.
In this episode, children will:
- discover how developing a love of learning can make their lives incredibly interesting
- be inspired by Ellie & Grace, our listeners living in Mexico
- Turn to Chapter 8 "Love of Learning" in the Big Life Journal Second Edition. In this chapter, children will discover how learning and practicing can change their brains.
- What Do You Do With a Chance? by Kobi Yamada
- Rosie Revere Engineer by Andrea Beaty
- Hana Hashimoto, Sixth Violin by Chiere Uegaki
- You Can Learn Anything by Kahn Academy
1. Use our Goal Planning Activity (in the Podcast Activity Kit) to explore a big dream or goal and brainstorm how to achieve it.
2. Use the "I Have a Growth Mindset Poster" from our Growth Mindset Printables Kit as a growth mindset manifesto. It helps children focus on practicing and achieving their personal best. Laminate or frame this printable for your home or classroom.
3. Use the "All About My Interests" activity in our Self-Esteem & Confidence Kit to increase children's motivation and desire to learn. When children discover their interests and unique things about them, their confidence increases too. As your children or students complete the printable, take time to discuss their answers. Plan different activities which would include things they marked they love doing. For example, if they are interested in learning about history, you can plan a day at a museum.
4. Use the "My Goal Think-Sheet and The Goal-Setting Sheet" printables in our Self-Esteem & Confidence Kit to help your children brainstorm ideas where they want to improve and the things they want to accomplish. As they create goals and work towards them, their confidence grows.
First, use the printable “My Goal Think-Sheet” to help them pick a goal. Refer to the printable “All About My Interests” to get ideas for their goals. These goals can be related to school, sports, extracurricular activities, or even their character traits. If this is the first time they are doing the activity, they may need help brainstorming.
Second, ask them to choose one goal and complete the second goal-setting printable together. You will see a section on obstacles. Research shows that when we envision future obstacles and ways to overcome them, we’re more likely to achieve our goals. Help your children write steps for overcoming specific obstacles.
- What did Ellie & Grace have to overcome to learn Spanish and live in another country?
- What's something that you have learned that was once difficult, but with time became easy and you are proud of?
For Parents and Teachers
- 7 Ways to Teach Kids Failure Is a Great Thing
- 5 Tips to Reduce Test Anxiety in Children
- How To Raise Smart Kids through Movement
Produced by Alexandra Eidens and Big Life Journal team. Written and directed by Sarah Cyrano. Sound design and original music by Elettra Bargiacchi. Sound mixing by Mattia Marcelli. Characters played by Sean Chiplock and Ryan Bartley. Managed by Kait Bibb.