Zara and Leo head to outer space to discover the mysteries of the universe... and beyond! Listen to the story of the first Canadian to walk in space to find out how learning can help you reach your BIG dreams.
In this episode, children will:
- discover how developing a love of learning can make their life incredibly interesting
- travel to...space!
- be inspired by Chris Hadfield, the first Canadian to walk in space
- Turn to Chapter 8 "Love of Learning" in the Big Life Journal Second Edition. In this chapter, children will discover how learning and practicing can change their brains.
- The Darkest Dark by Chris Hadfield
- How to Catch a Star by Oliver Jeffers
- Flight School by Lita Judge
- You Can Learn Anything by Kahn Academy
- Astronaut Chris Hadfield Debunks Space Myths
- What I Learned from Going Blind in Space TedTalk by Chris Hadfield
- Chris Hadfield Brushes his Teeth in Space
- Astronaut Chris Hadfield on 13 Moments That Changed His Life
1. Use our Goal Planning Activity (in the Podcast Activity Kit) to explore a big dream or goal and brainstorm how to achieve it.
2. Display the You Can Learn Anything Poster to help inspire your child to take on new challenges and learn from their mistakes along the way.
3. Take the "5-Day Growth Mindset Challenge" inside our Challenges Kit. Do the challenge together to help your children:
- understand the difference between a growth mindset and a fixed mindset
- learn about the power of YET
- practice growth mindset affirmations
4. Use the "My Power of Yet" from our Growth Mindset Printables Kit whenever your child is saying they can’t do something, remind them about the power of yet -- they can’t do it YET! This printable includes a goal ladder -- an effective method to break down big goals into small actionable steps. Teachers can use this printable at the beginning of the school year to help students set their learning goals.
- How did Chris demonstrate his love of learning?
- How did his love of learning help him reach his goal?
- Chris was curious about so many things. What are some things you are curious and want to learn more about? Draw or write about them and share with a friend, family member, or teacher.
For Parents and Teachers
- 7 Ways to Instill A Love of Learning in Children
- The Secret to Fostering Creativity in Kids (Hint: Go Outside)
- 5 Powerful Ways to Help Kids Develop a Growth Mindset in Mathematics
Produced by Alexandra Eidens and Big Life Journal team. Written and directed by Sarah Cyrano. Sound design and original music by Elettra Bargiacchi. Sound mixing by Mattia Marcelli. Characters played by Sean Chiplock and Ryan Bartley. Managed by Kait Bibb.