Zara and Leo are in the Bahamas for a beach party! Zara has signed up for a DJ set, but there’s just one problem... she has never DJ’d before. Discover the key to mastering ANY skill and meet the ocean conservationist who found a way to fulfil her lifelong dream... swimming with sharks!
Do you want your growth mindset story to be featured on the Big Life Kids Podcast? Submit your story to Leo & Zara.
In this episode, children will:
- discover that excelling at a skill just takes practice
- learn they can achieve anything they put their mind to
- get inspired by Cristina Zenato, the underwater ranger
- When asked on the spot, Zara said her DJ name was “DJ Spinster.” If you were a DJ, what would your DJ name be?
- Cristina practised diving many times before she became an underwater ranger. What’s something you would practise to achieve your dream?
- Zara discovered she could improve as a DJ if she continued to practise it. What would you like to get better at doing?
Emmanuel's Dream: The True Story of Emmanuel Ofosu Yeboah by Laurie Ann Thompson
The inspiring true story of Emmanuel Ofosu Yeboah, a boy from Ghana with a deformed leg, who dreamed of becoming a professional cyclist.
- Nadia: The Girl Who Couldn’t Sit Still by Karlin Gray
The true story of a young girl who practised to become an Olympic gold medal winner.
- Wilma Unlimited: How Wilma Rudolph Became the World's Fastest Woman by Kathleen Krull
The inspiring true story about perseverance and the power of practising.
- Elmo Doesn’t Give Up (Youtube video)
Elmo discovers the Power of “YET” and why it’s important to keep trying and not give up.
Practice Makes Progress - Happy Monster Band (Youtube video)
This animated monster band reminds children that the only way to get better at something is by practicing.
Rudy (Movie - Rated PG)
A true story that reminds children dreams can be achieved if they work towards them.
1. Challenge yourself with the “Take Chances, Keep Going” Printable Activity in our Resilience Kit. This fun activity shows children if they continue to work on something, like an unfinished drawing, it can turn into something great.
2. Choose your favourite affirmation from our list of 25 Growth Mindset Statements and Affirmations. Write them on sticky notes and post them around your home as a reminder to keep going.
3. Listen to Episode 27: When You Want to Quit, Make Like a Honeybee and Stick With It. In this episode, Leo and Zara discover the power of persevering when facing obstacles.
Produced by Alexandra Eidens and Big Life Journal team. Written and directed by Sarah Cyrano. Sound design and original music by Elettra Bargiacchi. Sound mixing by Mattia Marcelli. Characters played by Sean Chiplock and Ryan Bartley. Managed by Laura Maloney.
DON'T MISS A NEW EPISODE! When you sign up for podcast notifications, we'll let you know when a new episode goes live!