Zara arrives home from a run to find that Leo has turned the Believemobile into a disco spinning class! Get pumped in this jumping, jiving episode as we discover the Sichuan beekeeper who used GRIT to overcome a whole hive of challenges!
CLICK HERE TO DOWNLOAD THE EPISODE GUIDE
In this episode, children will:
- Learn how to use GRIT to overcome big challenges
- Travel to China
- Be inspired by Chen Yanyu, a beekeeper
- The Elephant Who Wanted to Be a Bee: A Children's Picture Book on Not Giving Up by Valerie Harmon
- The Boy Who Harnessed the Wind, Young Reader's Edition by William Kamkwamba
- Brave Irene: A Picture Book by William Steig
- Zootopia (PG) Relays the message that even when you fall, you’ve got to get up and try again.
- A Bee Movie (PG) Barry, the Bee leaves the hive and perseveres through many challenges.
- Soar (2014) (G) With a fairytale-like storyline, “Soar” explores hope and perseverance with a glimmer of magic.
- Grit: The Key to Your Success by Florida Virtual School A great video introduction to grit.
1. Turn to Chapter 6 "Challenges Make You Stronger" in Big Life Journal - Second Edition and review Part 1 and Part 2.
2. Use the My Getting Unstuck Spinner printable (in the Resilience Kit).
3. Teach About Grit Through Nature. Show your child pictures or real-life examples of the resilience and perseverance of nature (like Bees).
4. Practise the “Hard Thing Rule”
- What motivated Leo & Zara to keep spinning?
- What inspired Chen to not give up looking after the bees?
- Have you ever had to restart a project from scratch? What motivated you to get through the challenge?
For Parents and Teachers
- 9 Activities To Build Grit and Resilience in Children
- Why Grit is More Important in Your Kids Than IQ (And One Simple Way to Teach It)
- Video: China's Beekeepers and the Bees
Produced by Alexandra Eidens and Big Life Journal team. Written and directed by Sarah Cyrano. Sound design and original music by Elettra Bargiacchi. Sound mixing by Mattia Marcelli. Characters played by Sean Chiplock and Ryan Bartley. Managed by Laura Hernandez.
DON'T MISS A NEW EPISODE! When you sign up for podcast notifications, we'll let you know when a new episode goes live!