Zara and Leo are in a mad dash to the airport, desperate to catch their flight! But when their plane gets delayed, they begin to lose their temper. Find out how to cope with BIG feelings like anger and frustration, and meet the boxing champion who learned to take charge of his angry feelings, and express himself in other ways!
Do you want your growth mindset story to be featured on the Big Life Kids Podcast? Submit your story to Leo & Zara.
In this episode, children will:
- discover how to manage their anger and frustration
- learn how to cope with big and uncomfortable feelings
- see their emotions as emergency sirens looking out for them
- What does it mean to be hangery? Have you ever felt hangery?
- Leo and Zara described big emotions as emergency sirens. What “emergency sirens” have you experienced recently?
- What’s one thing you can do the next time you feel angry?
Breathing Makes it Better by Christopher Willard
Just like Leo and Zara did in this episode, follow this illustrated book as it guides children to breathe through their feelings.
I am Peace: A Book of Mindfulness by Susan Verde
This thoughtful children’s book helps children learn how to manage their emotions.
Just Breathe (Youtube Video)
Hear from real children learning how to cope with big emotions.
Why Do We Lose Control of Our Emotions? (Youtube Video)
This illustrated video teaches children how their brains work and how to manage their emotions.
1. Use the “What I Feel Now” Poster (found in our Resilience Kit) to help your child identify what they are feeling and then discuss different ways to cope with it.
2. Try the “Loving Kindness Meditation (as described in our article “7 Activities to Help Your Child Develop a Positive Attitude”). This mindfulness exercise has been shown to increase positive emotions and social connectedness.
3. Listen to Big Life Kids Podcast Episode 21: The Rock ‘n’ Roll Guide to Mindfulness. In this episode, Leo and Zara will help your child learn they can train their brain to enjoy each moment as it comes.
Produced by Alexandra Eidens and Big Life Journal team. Written and directed by Sarah Cyrano. Sound design and original music by Elettra Bargiacchi. Sound mixing by Mattia Marcelli. Characters played by Sean Chiplock and Ryan Bartley. Managed by Laura Maloney.
DON'T MISS A NEW EPISODE! When you sign up for podcast notifications, we'll let you know when a new episode goes live!